Location: 139th Street
- Negotiable based on experience
- End-of-year performance-based bonus
- 40-45 hrs/week
- 1 week paid time off
- Previous customer service experience, preferable in a food environment
- Food protection certificate preferable at start of position. (issued by the Department of Health subsequent to successful completion of a course in food protection, and passage of an examination administered by the Department.)
- Must complete Food Protection certificate within three months of employment and probationary period, if not completed, employee will not be asked to remain in employment beyond three month probationary period.
- Solid English understanding, reading, and writing skills
- Follow instructions and help customers and other team members in a pleasant manner.
- Take customers' orders and serve or package immediately, and occasionally write ordered items on tickets, giving ticket stubs to customers when needed to identify filled orders.
- Serve bakery items and / or beverages to customers in Make My Cake bakery.
- Package custom cakes in boxes and Make My Cake bags for customer pick-ups.
- Prepare bills for bakery items, using cash registers, and accept payment in cash, credit card or debit card and make change if necessary.
- Balance receipts and payments in cash registers.
- Wrap bakery items such as cake slices, cupcakes, and other desserts for serving or for takeout.
- Perform cleaning duties such as keeping “front of the house” and facilities sanitary, and sweeping & mopping customer service areas.
- Scrub and polish counters, and other equipment, and clean glasses, dishes, and beverage equipment.
- Replenish bakery goods in the display.
- Brew hot coffee and tea, brew iced tea, and fill containers with requested beverages.
- Verbally contribute stories about Make My Cake for the monthly bakery newsletter to Assistant Manager or Manager.
The ideal candidate will show strengths in the following areas:
- Customer Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing — Knowledge of principles and methods for showing and selling products. This includes product demonstration, convincing others to buy merchandise/goods or to otherwise change their minds or actions.
- Service Orientation — Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Getting Information — Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Deal with potentially unpleasant or angry people occasionally — Using constructive ways to maintain composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Communicating with Supervisors and Peers — Providing information to supervisors and peers by telephone, in written form, or in person.